Please call your nearest location:
0300 123 3092
Canterbury and Coastal
0300 7900 156
0300 123 2075
0300 123 2076
0300 555 0506
Sevenoaks, Swanley and Edenbridge
0300 123 4497
0300 123 1240
0300 123 4014
Tonbridge and Malling
0300 1233041 and 0300 1233017
0300 790 0243
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Who we are
We are a team of health visitors, who are registered nurses or midwives who have a specialised qualification in public health and the care and development of pre-school children. The health visiting service supports families with a new baby or child under five year old by offering advice and guidance. The service works in line with the national Healthy Child Programme, which aims to promote optimal health and wellbeing for all children. The health visiting service provides an essential service to children and families and work in local communities to promote health and reduce health inequalities.
What we do
We support families with a new baby or a child aged under five-years-old. Working together with you and your family we can develop individual family health plans to help you with your family’s needs. We can provide advice and support on:
- Growth, physical and emotional development and learning through play
- Breastfeeding, introducing solid foods and healthy eating
- Common infections, skin problems and minor illnesses in children
- Challenges such as teething, temper tantrums, sleeping, eating and toilet training
- Post-natal depression, bereavement and violence in the family
- Reducing accidents in the home
We work closely with midwives, GPs, Paediatricians, local children’s centres and voluntary organisations to provide you with the best possible care.
- Deliver our “You and your baby” antenatal programmes in partnership with local children’s centres across Kent
- Run Baby Hubs from local children centres providing the opportunity for you to drop in ask for advice from one of our health visitors or access regular parenting programmes
- Organise and run healthy child clinics and developmental review clinics.
- Provide breastfeeding drop in’s to offer support to breastfeeding mums and their families or expectant mums who want to know more about breastfeeding
How do you use this service?
Everyone with a new baby or child under 5 years old is able to use the service. You can contact the service direct or you can be referred by a GP or healthcare professional.
We have a duty health visitor who is available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm who can talk to you about any concerns you may or support you to access the right service. You can find them contact details in your red book or contact your local team.