Who we are
We are a team of speech and language therapists dedicated to supporting adults with learning disabilities who have either communication difficulties (90 per cent of adults with learning disability) or health difficulties associated with swallowing disorders, such as dysphagia.
What we do
We work with people and their families and carers to assess, plan, create and provide resources and care to improve their quality of life and focus on any risks or distress associated with communication behaviours and dysphagia.
We help people with complex speech, language and communication needs, including eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties.
We work with individuals to reduce any issues associated with limited comprehension, challenging behaviour and difficulties with self-expression by supporting understanding between people with learning disabilities, carers and staff.
Our goal is to improve the individual’s communication skills to promote wellbeing and prevent social isolation.
We provide the following services and training:
- Makaton training
- healthy mouth safer swallow training
- bespoke training for carers
- dysphagia assessment
- communication assessment and training
- mouth care matters training
- basic swallow awareness training
- joint training with community dental and physiotherapy
- alternative and augmentative communication
- support through challenging situations
- hearing impairment assessment
- intensive interaction training
- oral hygiene advice
How to use this service
We accept self-referrals and referrals from health and social care professionals, carers and family members.
You can refer online using our CLDT online referral form.
Learning Disability Central Referral System
19 Horn Street
By phone: 0300 123 4195
Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.