If you are a GP practice in Medway and would like to offer coils and implants (LARC) to your patients but don’t have the provision to fit them, we can help.
We have seven GP practices across Medway (see below) that are happy to accept patients from other practices in order to fit coils and implants. We hope that this will help you to offer more LARC fittings to your patients, and so benefit people across Medway.
Long acting reversible contraception is proven to be the best way to prevent unwanted pregnancy in younger women.
- Uptake of coils and subdermal implants is directly related to a decrease in unplanned pregnancies / termination.
- Medway has a higher than national average of teenage pregnancies.
- The aim of the network project is to increase the uptake of LARC for women of all ages in Medway, acknowledging that not every GP practice has the time or resources to offer LARC.
Please follow the referral pathway carefully and note the following
- Practices can only accept patients that are Medway residents
- The networking project can take referrals for coil fittings only. Coil removals can either be arranged by a patient’s own GP surgery or the Medway sexual health team.
- The networking project can accept referrals for both implant fittings and removals
- These practices are only able to offer an appointment for the actual procedure, so patients must be counselled in their chosen method before they are referred.
- We have created a referral pathway for each procedure to ensure that the patient and clinician have all the relevant information they need beforehand. This will need to be completed with the patient and then sent, along with the prescription for the device, to the appropriate surgery who will then contact the patient with an appointment date and time.
- We are working with the CCG to have these forms loaded onto DXS and will let you know when this has happened. In the meantime, you will need to use paper copies which can be found on this page.
- Please be aware that the patient will only be offered the LARC method they have been counselled for.
- DNAs will be referred back to your surgery.
- Coil patients will also be offered a repeat appointment by the fitting practice for a six week check. Should there be any issues arising from the procedure, they will be asked to contact their own GP initially.
Please do not give the device to the patient to take as this often results in sterile packaging being opened beforehand and the device unable to be used.
Surgeries offering LARC
Apex Medical Centre
The Medical Centre
Strood ME2 4UW
Contact: Hayley Mills on 01634 729 681 or email@example.com
Hoo St Werburgh Medical Practice
98 Bell’s Lane
Hoo ME3 9HU
Contact: Heather Malcolm on 01634 250523 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Bryant Street Medical Practice
The Medical Centre,
29 Bryant St
Chatham ME4 5QS
Contact: Lisa Wellfair on 01634 848911 or email@example.com
The Churchill Clinic
94 Churchill Avenue
Chatham ME5 0DL
Contact: Yvonne Edison on 01634 842397 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Walderslade Village Surgery
2 Robin Hood Lane
Chatham ME5 9LD
Contact: Ann Humphreys on 01634 687200 or email@example.com
Parkwood Health Centre
Long Catlis Rd
Gillingham ME8 9PR
Contact:Helen Gaylor on 01634 233491 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thames Avenue Surgery
2 Thames Avenue
Gillingham ME8 9BW
Contact: Susan Kinzett on 01634 360486 or email@example.com
Maidstone Road Surgery
262 Maidstone Road
Chatham ME4 6JL
Contact: Emily Watson on 01634 842093 or firstname.lastname@example.org